Location: Livingston/Various Sites
Job Type: Entry Level
What you need to know: Closes 26/02/2021
As the GRAHAM business continues to grow and develop, we are looking for enthusiastic individuals for the role of an Apprentice Building Services Engineer. The successful candidate will be based at our Livingston office providing support to our existing Site Management.
Successful candidates will study at college/university for a qualification in Building Services. There may be a requirement for block release at college. In addition, you will work towards a vocational qualification to compliment experience being gained on site.
As a large main Contractor with coverage across the UK a feature of the role will be to work on projects that will mean an element of staying away from home in temporary accommodation (provided by the company) to suit the business needs as and when. The role may also involve working unsociable hours and the candidate should be flexible on working hours and arrangements.
The Building Services Trainee shall assist the Site Management team with
• Planning, designing, monitoring and inspecting systems
• Advising clients and architects on matters relating to building services
• Negotiating and developing project contracts and agreeing these with clients
• Making life-cycle decisions about existing systems equipment and the appropriate location of new equipment
• Designing systems with the aid of computer-aided design software
• Designing site-specific equipment as required
• Commissioning, organising and assessing the work of contractors
• Monitoring building systems and processes
• Ensuring that the design and maintenance of building systems meets legislative and health and safety requirements
• Meeting manufacturers of building products to learn about the latest products
Interact with other members of the construction site team
• Undertake research in emerging technology and apply this to new projects
• Undertake root cause analysis of reported defects producing evidence-based reports
• Critically analyse designs prepared by members of the supply chain and validate and verify the suitability of that design against the various standards and employers’ requirements.
This job description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for the Building Services Trainee and the range of duties to be undertaken.
It does not attempt to detail every activity. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder at regular intervals.
• Demonstrate a strong desire for the role
• Demonstrate an ability to work on own initiative
• Demonstrate strong communication skills and flexibility in working locations
• Scottish Highers: BBCC (incl. Maths and one from Physics/Technological Studies/Engineering Science) Nat 5: C (English) and/or;
• An HNC in a related discipline, e.g Building Services or Mechanical/Electrical engineering
• An SVQ or equivalent related to Building Services disciplines with a good standard of academic qualifications or
• Successful achievement of a Foundation Apprentice Engineering award or
• Those with other qualifications and levels of experience within the Building Services Engineering sector.
• Knowledge of the Construction Industry
• Experience within the Construction
• Relevant H&S competencies
The successful candidate will be attending university to gain a BEng (hons) degree in building services engineering on day release.
Commercial Awareness: a willingness to gain an understanding of business acumen combined with the creativity and vision to meet customer needs and GRAHAM business requirements.
Leadership skills: Communicates and gets involved in team commitment.
Effective Communication skills: Able to adapt communication to audience and create detailed written documents and reports. Able to maintain and manage communication links with a variety of stakeholders. Presents a professional image and promotes the Brand.
Customer Focus: Takes time to question and understand the real, underlying needs of the customer, beyond those initially expressed. Always works closely with customers, developing an independent view of their needs and acting in their long-term interest
Influencing: displays an attitude of someone who can be developed to Identify and build relationships with those who will be useful now and in the future in achieving strategic business objectives.
Initiative: Able to work alone to get results in an effective way. Understands and seeks to minimise waste in resources and processes. Adopts and encourages others to adopt new ways of working. Ability to work unsupervised and/or with minimal supervision after an initial training period
Team Player: Always willing to be involved in other activities to achieve company objectives. Works collaboratively and uses influence to gain resolution of issues. Demonstrates honestly, loyalty and commitment.
GRAHAM aims to be an employer of choice for people from different backgrounds and to promote respect for the individual and equality of opportunity. We believe that everyone should be treated solely on the basis of personal merit and contribution throughout their GRAHAM career journey. The diversity of our people, their skills and abilities is the strength that helps us achieve our best.
We will only consider applications from individuals who are eligible to live and work in the UK as per Home Office regulations. Please check your eligibility with the regulations before applying, as we will sponsor a work permit on your behalf. Individuals with a current time restricted right to work in the UK should contact the Human Resources team in the first instance.
Click below to apply by sending a comprehensive CV and covering letter with your relevant experience.
Quote Reference No: Livingston/TraineeBSE